Skip to main content

COVID should not stop you from seeking help

We encourage you to not delay seeking help, even though it might feel more difficult than usual.

Drug, alcohol and addictive behaviour support

If you or someone you know needs help to manage the use of alcohol and/or other drugs, there are a range of supports available. These supports are often referred to as AOD services.

The quickest, easiest and recommended way to access AOD support is by calling your local Central Intake Service. Central Intake Services are region-specific services established by the State Government to simplify accessing AOD supports.

Based on where you live, you can call the Central Intake Service in your region, and they can refer you to the support option that is right for you. In eastern and north-eastern Melbourne, the Central Intake Services are:

There are a number of types of supports that the Central Intake Lines can refer you to, depending on your needs. These include:
  • Counselling: talking to someone (such as a social worker, counsellor, psychologist or psychiatrist) in a safe and supportive environment to help you identify ways to manage your use of drugs and/or alcohol
  • Withdrawal and detox: withdrawal services help people to safely reduce or cease problematic alcohol and/or other drug use
  • Rehabilitation: rehabilitation services support people who have completed withdrawal from drugs and/or alcohol to help them maintain changes in their drug and/alcohol use and gain the skills they need to lead healthier lifestyles
  • Medication support (pharmacotherapy): certain health professionals can prescribe medication (such as methadone, buprenorphine) to assist in the treatment of drug and/or alcohol misuse
  • Safe injecting equipment supply and disposal: provision of free needles and syringes, and a safe place to dispose of used needles and syringes
  • Support groups: groups in which people with similar experiences can share information, experiences, problems and strategies
  • Helplines, webchats and online forums: this includes telephone-based helplines, webchats and moderated online forums

Whilst you can also directly contact some services that provide drug and alcohol supports, it is recommended that these services are accessed by calling the Central Intake Service in your area.

If you are already seeing your GP or another health or mental health professional about your alcohol and/or other drug use, they can also refer you to an AOD service.

There are also a number of private clinics that provide support AOD supports. Private clinics can be contacted directly and have a fee for service.